Leases and licenses across the state earn money for Montana’s schools. Fees and terms are dependent on the use. All applications start with a local DNRC field office.


  • Long-term contracts
  • Issued by competitive bid or transfer
  • Lessee owns structures/improvements

Learn More and View Available Leases: 

Agriculture or Grazing
Cabin Sites
Commercial Development
Wind and Solar Development


  • Short-term authorizations
  • Issued by application or competitive bid
  • Not transferrable
  • No structures/improvements

Learn More about Licenses: 

Land Use
Commercial or Concentrated Recreation
Public Use
Firewood and Christmas Trees