The Forestry Assistance Bureau (FAB) provides service to communities and private landowners to promote sustainable forests and watersheds for the benefit of all Montanans.
The FAB delivers assistance in the following program areas:
- Conservation Seedling Nursery: Produces and distributes seedlings for conservation plantings to private, state, federal, and tribal landowners.
- Forest Pest Management: Provides assistance to family forest landowners and others in the identification and management of forest insects and diseases.
- : Provides landowners with the resources to comply with Montana's forest practices laws, rules and forest water quality best management practices.
- Forest Products and Biomass: Provides information and financial assistance that promotes forest product and biomass market and business development.
- Forest Stewardship: Assists family forest owners in acquiring personal knowledge about their forest resources, developing a stewardship plan for their property, and implementing their objectives with financial and technical assistance.
- Urban and Community Forestry: Provides Montana’s urban communities with assistance in establishing and maintaining urban forestry programs through grant support, technical advice, and formation of community tree boards and Tree City USA recognition.
A Special Initative:
- Forests in Focus: Montana Governor Steve Bullock announced this initative designed to address challenges and opportunities facing Montana in four key areas.
FAB Assistance falls into 4 general categories:
- Education: We sponsor workshops, seminars, field days, and provide written materials to provide clients with the information they need to be good stewards of forest land.
- Technical assistance: Our program specialists and service foresters provide personalized, on-site consultations to forest communities and landowners.
- Financial assistance: We provide grants and cost-share programs to community and private forest owners to help them implement long-term stewardship plans.
- Collaboration: We partner with other forestry agencies and groups, striving to diversify the Montana forestry network by initiating new partnerships and strengthening existing ones.
The priorities, objectives, and strategies of FAB programs and initatives are directed by a set of Montana State Assesment of Forest Resources and the Montana Forest Action Plan page for more detail.. View the
2705 Spurgin Road, Missoula, MT 59804
Phone: (406) 542-4300
Fax: (406) 542-4217