Reclamation and Development Grants Program
The program is administered by the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC) to fund project that:
- Compensate Montana citizens for the effects of exploration and mining on Montana lands
- Serve the public interest and the State of Montana.
Examples of projects include:
- Abandoned Mine Reclamation
- Brownfields Cleanup
- Abandoned Hazardous Waste Site Cleanup
- Abandoned Oil and Gas Well Cleanup
- Erosion Control (mining related)
- Crucial State Needs
- Interest income from the Resource Indemnity Trust Fund. This fund receives proceeds from taxes levied on mineral production.
- The 2015 Legislature allocated $5.3 million to the Reclamation and Development Grants Program. This amount is subject to legislative change each biennium.
- Cities, counties, or other political subdivision Tribal governments in Montana.
- Divisions of state government (departments, agencies, boards, commissions)
- Reclaim land, water, or other resources adversely affected by mining and exploration
- Mitigate damage to public resources caused by mining exploration
- Research, demonstrate wise use of Montana minerals, including efforts to make processing less damaging to the environment
- Identify and repair sites where toxic and hazardous wastes threaten public health or the environment
- Research or assess existing or potential environmental damage resulting from mining and exploration
The Legislature may also approve projects that:
- Enhance Montana's economy through the development of natural resources
- Develop, promote, or protect Montana's total environment and the general health, safety, welfare, and public resources of Montana's citizens and communities.
- DNRC will recommend no more than $300,000 for most projects. DNRC may recommend up to $500,000 if the applicant has demonstrated financial need and unavailability of other funds (approved by the Montana Legislature).
- Application Information
When to Apply
The application deadline is May 15 in even numbered years.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted online through the State of Montana grant management system at www.fundingmt.org