Irrigation is the dominant commercial use of Montana’s water and is a key component of Montana’s economy, accounting for 96% of surface and ground water withdrawals. The irrigation development grant program was created to increase the value of irrigated crops while preserving natural resources and the environment for future generations.
Irrigation development grants range from $300 to $20,000 and are available to private for profit, private nonprofit, governmental and Tribal entities and individual and groups in Montana.
Projects typically address one or more of these program objectives:
- Increase irrigation efficiencies through water conservation
- Expand or sustain irrigated acreage
- Increase production of high-value crops
- Improve management of irrigation systems
- Improve inter-basin cooperation among all water users.