Reclamation and Development Grants Program
A state-funded grant program designed to fund projects that:
Compensate Montana citizens for the effects of exploration and mining on Montana lands
Serve the public interest and the State of Montana.
The program is administered by the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC).
Examples of projects include:
- Abandoned Mine Reclamation
- Brownfields Cleanup
- Abandoned Hazardous Waste Site Cleanup
- Abandoned Oil and Gas Well Cleanup
- Erosion Control (mining related)
- Crucial State Needs
- Interest income from the Resource Indemnity Trust Fund. This fund receives proceeds from taxes levied on mineral production.
- The 2013 Legislature allocated $4.1 million to the Reclamation and Development Grants Program. This amount is subject to legislative change each biennium.
- Cities, counties, or other political subdivision Tribal governments in Montana.
- Divisions of state government (departments, agencies, boards, commissions)
- Reclaim land, water, or other resources adversely affected by mining and exploration
- Mitigate damage to public resources caused by mining exploration
- Research, demonstrate wise use of Montana minerals, including efforts to make processing less damaging to the environment
- Identify and repair sites where toxic and hazardous wastes threaten public health or the environment
- Research or assess existing or potential environmental damage resulting from mining and exploration
The Legislature may also approve projects that:
- Enhance Montana's economy through the development of natural resources
- Develop, promote, or protect Montana's total environment and the general health, safety, welfare, and public resources of Montana's citizens and communities.
- Up to $500,000 (approved by the Montana Legislature).
How to Apply
Contact the Resource Development Bureau of DNRC and request an application form for the Reclamation and Development Grants Program or download the application at the links below.
Application (pdf form)
Application (word form)
When to Apply
The application deadline is May 15 in even numbered years.
The Reclamation and Development Grants Program also offers planning grants to help prepare applications for projects eligible for the grant program. The link below provides information on planning grants
For Additional Information Contact:
Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation
Resource Development Bureau
1625 Eleventh Avenue
Helena, Montana 59620-1601
Website Address: http://dnrc.mt.gov