This web page contains all DNRC environmental documents posted in the last 30 days. To access older documents, visit the Legislative Services Search Index.
- Coal, Oil, Gas, and Other Minerals
- Coal and Coal Bed Natural Gas (CBNG)
- Nothing new within the last 30 days.
- Oil and Gas
- CMT 3-D Seismic Permit 1597 (December 6, 2013)
The proponent has requested a permit to explore for natural gas and/or oil deposits on tracts of State Land in Judith Basin and Fergus Counties Montana using the vibroseis 3-D seismic exploration technique.
- Weed/Hawk Creek 3-D Seismic Permit (December 6, 2013)
The proponents have applied for a Seismic Exploration Permit to conduct a 3-D seismic project on state lands.
- State 14-16 (December 3, 2013)
State 14-16; 36N-3W-16: SESW
- State 13A-16 (December 3, 2013)
State 13A-16; 36N-3W-16; SWSW
- State 12-16 (December 3, 2013)
State 12-16; 36N-3W-16: NWSW
- CHC 06-28-T34-R53 (December 3, 2013)
CHC 06-28-T34-R53; 34N-53E-28: SWNW
- Jake Oil Buried Flow Line (December 3, 2013)
SE¼ of Section 34, Township 9 North, Range 24 East
- State 13A-16 (November 26, 2013)
KeeSun Corporation has requested permission to drill a new oil well on state land.
- Colleen 2-29H (November 19, 2013)
Colleen 2-29H; 26N-55E-29: SESE
- Colleen 1-29H (November 20, 2013)
Colleen 1-29H; 26N-55E-29: SESE
- Sylvia 1-3H (November 20, 2013)
Sylvia 1-3H; 26N-56E-3: Lot 3 (NENW)
- Marla AHSL (November 20, 2013)
Marla AHSL; 24N-55E-35: NWNW
- Drilling of Oil Well State 1-25 (November 19, 2013)
The applicant proposes to drill an exploratory oil well into the Winnipegosis formation on State of Montana School Trustland.
- Lower Rural Yellowstone Electric Co-Op to Marla-Hill 4HSU oil well (November 4, 2013)
Proponent wants to put a powerline from an existing line to run an oil well on state ground.
- Goslin 1-6H (November 1, 2013)
Goslin 1-6H; 21N-58E-6: Lot 3 (NENW)
- LaJoie 1-7H (November 1, 2013)
LaJoie 1-7H; 22N-56E-7: NWNE
- Olson 1-12H (November 1, 2013)
Olson 1-12H; 25N-51E-12: SWSE
- Coyote Federal 2758 43-8H (November 1, 2013)
Coyote Federal 2758 43-8H; 27N-58E-8: SWSE
- Miller Girls Federal 2758 42-7H (October 31, 2013)
Miller Girls Federal 2758 42-7H; 27N-58E-7; SESW
- Holman Morse 1-H (October 31, 2013)
Holman Morse 1-H; 5S-16E-12: SESE
- Stoney Butte 4-17H and 5-17H (October 31, 2013)
Stoney Butte 4-17H and 5-17H; 23N-56E-17: SESW
- Fox 3-D Seismic Project (October 31, 2013)
Proponent wants to conduct a seismic project in south central Richland Co. for oil and gas exploration.
- Black Butte 1(October 23, 2013)
Black Butte 1; 28N-5W-19: SENE
- Duck Creek 1-5 (October 22, 2013)
Duck Creek 1-5; 21N-48E-5: NESW
- MCR LLC Water Flood Flow & Electric Lines (October 22, 2013)
MCR LLC has requested permission under their Oil and Gas lease to install buried flow lines and electrical line. This will allow MCR LLC to bring 3 new oil wells on line.
- Sage Brush 2758 41-9 #2B, #3T, #4B (October 22, 2013)
Sage Brush 2758 41-9 #2B, #3T, #4B; 27N-58E-9: SWSW
- Signal Butte Federal 2758 44-9 #2B, #3B (October 22, 2013)
Signal Butte Federal 2758 44-9 #2B, #3B; 27N-58E-9: SESE
- McCracken 2758 34-9 #3B & 44-9 #4B (October 22, 2013)
McCracken 2758 34-9 #3B & 44-9 #4B; 27N-58E-9: SE
- McCracken 2758 21-10 #5B (October 22, 2013)
McCracken 2758 21-10 #5B; 27N-58E-10: SWNW
- Skov 31-28-2H, -3H, -4H (October 17, 2013)
Skov 31-28-2H, -3H, -4H; 25N-59E-28: NWNE
- Whiteman 1-14H (October 17, 2013)
Whiteman 1-14H; 24N-52E-14: SESW
- State 1-25 (October 2, 2013)
State 1-25; 36N-54E-25; NENE
- P&Q Farms 21X-28BXC (October 2, 2013)
P&Q Farms 21X-28BXC; 23N-59E-28; NENW
- P&Q Farms 21X-28D (October 2, 2013)
P&Q Farms 21X-28D; 23N-59E-28; NENW
- Ostby 11-35 (October 2, 2013)
Ostby 11-35 31N-58E-34; NWNE
- Oro Grande 1-19 (October 2, 2013)
Oro Grande 1-19; 11N-33E-19; NESW
- Unit 23-35SH 860 (October 2, 2013)
Unit 23-35SH-860; 8N-60E-35; NESW
- Unit 12-35SH 860 (October 2, 2013)
Unit 12-35SH-860; 8N-60E-35; SWNW
- David HSL (October 2, 2013)
David HSL 25N-55E-20; NWNW 17 to SWSW
- Berkram A No. A-4 (October 2, 2013)
Berkram A No. A-4; 37N-5W-35; SENW
- Nelson 16-1 (October 2, 2013)
Nelson 16-1; 14N-60E-29; SESE
- Other Minerals/Gravel
- Nothing new within the last 30 days.
- Forest Management/Forest Practices.
- Scout Lake 7 Alternative Practice (December 11, 2013)
Scout Lake 7 Alternative Practice EAC analyzes a request to operate machinery in an adjacent wetland during dry summer conditions that would still maintain the integrity of the Streamside Management Zone (SMZ).
- Triple C Ranch Alternative Practice - Styler-Boyd (November 4, 2013)
Allow Alternative Practice for Equipment Operation in a class 3 SMZ for Other Body of Water.
- Cleared Out TP (October 15, 2013)
Removal of trees on the cut or fill side of a series of roads. The removal of these trees will assist with road maintenance needs in the future (e.g. ability to blade material back onto roads without dirt piling against trees in the future).
- Sun Mountain Alternative Practise (October 11, 2013)
Alternative practise application to allow road relocation out of a streambed and limited operation of feller buncher within SMZ to harvest beetle killed trees.
- Timber Sales
Timber Sales up for Bid Additional Timber Sale Information
Timber Sales Results Land Board Meeting Information
- Smith Blowdown 612 & Smith Lake Permit (December 4, 2013)
Salvage blowndown and bark beetle killed trees from 200 acres. Timber harvest permit on 35 acres would harvest bark beetle killed trees and co-dominant and intermediate overstory to improve health and vigor of stand.
- Cal-Com Christmas Trees (November 8, 2013)
Project will harvest approximately 400 small diameter Douglas fir and grand fir from various sections on the Plains Unit.
- Lower McGinnis Timber Sale (November 6, 2013)
The Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC), Libby Unit, is proposing a commercial timber harvest approXimately 30 air miles southeast of Libby, MT in Sec. 16, T26N, R28W
- Firestone Flats Fire Salvage (October 24, 2013)
DNRC, Kalispell Unit, is proposing to salvage harvest approximately 4.5 MMBF of timber from approximately 435 acres of Trust lands burned during the Firestone Flats fire of July/August 2013.
- Swan Unit Christmas Tree 2013 (October 16, 2013)
Proposed Christmas Tree harvesting to occur on the Swan River State Forest in Section 17, T24N, R17W and Sections 21 & 29, T23N, R18W. The proposed harvest would result in a thinned, but stocked stand of regenerating grand fir, subalpine fir and Douglas-fir.
- Blacktail Fire Salvage Timber Sale (October 11, 2013)
The DNRC Plains Unit proposes to salvage approximately 3 log truck loads of sawlogs and 20 cords of firewood from the Blacktail fire area.
- Red Rock Refuge Well Drilling and Stock Tank (December 9, 2013)
Red Rock Lakes Refuge submitted a request to replace an existing hand dug well and windmill on state land with a new deeper well, install a gas powered pump, and replace an existing stock tank with a new one.
- Wayne Kolstad Farms CRP Break (December 6, 2013)
CRP contract #895C containing 126.70 acres expired in September 2013. The lessee, Wayne Kolstad Farms Inc. has requested to break these expiring CRP acres. The CRP acres were not offered for re-enrollment due to their relatively high productivity. The tract was last farmed in 1999. The estimated acres that will be broke and returned to small grain production is 126.70 acres. Also, an additional 22.60 acres of tame/native pasture are proposed to be broke and placed into small grain production.
- Daniel Long Ranch Pipeline Project (November 20, 2013)
Daniel Long Ranch has requested permission to install a stockwater pipeline on State Trust land. This project would utilize heavy equipment for the purpose of creating a trench for a stock water pipeline and stock water tank. This proposed project is in south east Carter County.
- Hagenbarth Prickly Pear Reduction Project (November 15, 2013)
This proposed project is located approximately 13 miles North of Dillon near the Beaverhead – Madison County line. The site is currently dominated by prickly pear cactus (Oppuntia spp) and needle-and-thread grass (Stipa comata). The lessee is proposing to use a drag to break off the prickly pear at the ground surface at the onset of cold weather in November and aerial broadcast seed forage kochia at a rate of approximately 0.5 lbs per acre.
- Miller Colony Lease #3598 Improvement Request (October 31, 2013)
Miller Colony lessee of state lease #3598 have requested to place a livestock water line in two places across state land and two stock tanks on state land located in the SE4, Section 11, T25N, R6W and SW4, Section 12, T25N, R6W. This will allow them to connect to an existing well located on deeded land and pipe water to an additional two tanks located on deeded land. This project is an addition to a livestock water system that was started in 2011.
- Davis Stockwater Pit (October 23, 2013)
Lyle R. Davis has submitted an Improvements Request Form Application to the Glasgow Unit Office to place a stockwater pit on State land.
- Cecil Marsh Break Request (October 3, 2013)
Request from Cecil D. Marsh to break an estimated 267.1 acres of former conservation reserve program acreage. This land use conversation would be for dryland agriculture for the production of small grain or pulse crops.
- Tame Pasture Renovation(Ocotober 7, 2013)
Bills Ranch Co., lessee of state lease #5648 has requested to renovate existing tame pasture. The lessee plans to chisel the tame pasture 1” to 2” deep in order to break up the club moss and Idaho fescue mat. This will allow for better water infiltration and increase the productivity of the desirable species. The proposed project area consists of 143.50 acres. The project will be performed this fall or early next spring, weather permitting.
- Land Banking Sales & Exchanges
- Land Banking Administrative Rule Changes - 2013 (November 29, 2013)
The Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC) proposes the adoption of New Rule I through VIII, amendment of ARM 36.25.128, and repeal of ARM 36.25.131 pertaining to Land Banking sales for cabin sites and home sites.
- Swan Valley Retreat Land Banking Proposal (November 29, 2013)
The 78-acre parcel proposed for land banking was developed in 1967 and has served as a low-security incarceration facility. DNRC has been unsuccessful in marketing these lands and their accompanying improvements within its Commercial Lease Program. Maintaining existing infrastructure and grounds without a commercial lease is causing a substantial revenue loss to the trust. DNRC hopes to use the sale proceeds to purchase lands adjacent to school trust lands with improved sustainable income.
- Bates Land Banking Sale #692 (October 21, 2013)
Offer for Sale at Public Auction, approximately 8 acres of state land currently held in trust for the benefit of the State Common Schools.
- Land Use Licenses
- NorthWestern Energy (November 12, 2013)
Northwestern Energy holds a Right of Way (D-3283) with the State of Montana that is 40 feet wide (20 foot on each side of centerline) for the purpose of a gas pipeline. The pipleine has been exposed, Northwestern Energy is proposing to repair the exposed pipelien by constructing a log check dam and burying the pipeline.
- Moen Builders Inc (November 12, 2013)
Proponent has submitted an LUL application to use the existing Herman Gulch Road on state land (approximately 0.6 miles) to access and haul mine rock from the Mapleton Mine in Section 9, Township 6 South – Range 3 West over state land.
- Hill Ditch Land Use License (October 23, 2013)
William and Cindy Hill have applied for a Land Use License for the purposed of conveying irrigation and livestock water across state land via an irrigation ditch and also for ditch access for monitoring and maintenance purposes. The irrigation ditch was installed in approximately 1939 and was not properly authorized by the DNRC. The ditch crosses approximately 4,278.00’ or 0.81 miles of state land classified as agricultural and grazing land.
- Recreational Use
- Whitefish Bike Retreat (December 6, 2013)
Special Recreational Use License for commercial winter and summer guided bicycle activities.
- Glacier Adventure Guides (December 6, 2013)
Special Recreational Use License for commercial winter and summer guided activities.
- Sunday Creek Outfitters (October 2, 2013)
Authorization to Outfdit within 4N-9W-16, Silver Bow County.
- Whitefish Credit Union Driveway Easement (December 9, 2013)
The proponent is requesting an easement to provide complete legal acces to property.
- Big Hole Bridge at Pumphouse Road (November 29, 2013)
Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) has made application for a permanent easement for the rehabilitation of a functionally obsolete bridge crossing the navigable Big Hole River on Pumphouse Road, approximately 3 miles west of Divide.
- Northwestern Energy - Rocky Ridge Easement (November 25, 2013)
Northwestern Energy (NWE) is requesting an easement for an overhead power line used to provide service to communications customers located on Rocky Ridge – a rocky outcrop located north of Deerlodge, Montana and a key communications location for several entities, including AT&T, Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) and the DNRC.
- Triangle Communications - Joplin Exchange (November 13, 2013)
The proponent is requesting permission to obtain and install in a right of way an underground telephone communications cable occupying a 20 foot easement encompassing 2.341 acres.
- Hill County Electric - Citation (November 13, 2013)
The proponent is requesting permission to obtrain and install in a right of way an overhead 3-phase 12.74kV power line occupyina a 20 foot easement encompassing .76 acres.
- Hill County Electric - Lankford (November 13, 2013)
The proponent is requesting permission to obtain and install in a right of way an overhead 7.n kV power line occupying a 20 forr easement encompassing 7.245 acres.
- Oneok Rockies Pipeline (November 12, 2013)
Oneok Rockies Midstream has made a Right of Way Easement application to place a buried low pressure gas pipe line across State lands.
- Hansen Home encroachment easement (November 8, 2013)
During a survey of their property in June 2013, David & Carol Hansen discovered that they had built a portion of their home and driveway on state trust lands located in Section 16 Township 11 North, Range 15 West.
- 3 Rivers Telephone Easement Applications - Pendroy Exchange (October 28, 2013)
3 Rivers Telephone Co-Op Inc. has requested to install a buried fiber optic cable in order to upgrade their facilities and services in the Pendroy exchange serving area. The new fiber optic cable will serve the Pendroy exchange serving area in and around Pendroy, MT. The proposed easement route is located just off of the edge of the county roads Teton County. The fiber optic cable will cross 4 tracts of state land.
- 3 Rivers Telephone Easement Applications - Dupuyer Exchange (October 28, 2013)
3 Rivers Telephone Co-Op Inc. has requested to install a buried fiber optic cable in order to upgrade their facilities and services in the Dupuyer exchange serving area. The new fiber optic cable will serve the Dupuyer exchange serving area in and around Dupuyer, MT. The proposed easement route is located just off of the edge of the county roads in Pondera and Teton Counties. The fiber optic cable will cross 7 tracts of state land.
- Southeast Electric Co-Op LUL Easement Application for 3-Phase Line (October 17, 2013)
Powerline will be installed across trust land in close proximity to another powerline. This line will be put in under a Land Use License, but will be able to continue under a permanent easement.
- Freeman Ridge RAA (October 16, 2013)
The Montana DNRC is currently working with Stimson Lumber Company to craft a reciprocal access agreement that would provide access benefits for both parties.
- Dry Prairie Rural Water Authority (October 2, 2013)
Dry Prairie Rural Water Authority has requested to place a buried 8 inch water pipeline on State land for human consumption in rural areas of Northeastern Montana.
- Triangle Telephone Coop. Easement Applications (October 7, 2013)
The proponent is requesting permission to obtain and install in a right of way an underground telephone communications cable occupying a 20 foot easement encompassing 0.608 acres.
- Nothing new within the last 30 days
- Nothing new within the last 30 days
- Dam Facilities, Reservoirs, and Hydropower
- Painted Rocks Dam Outlet Concrete Repair Project FONSI (October 1, 2013)
This project involves the completion of repairs to the concrete in the outlet tunnel at Painted Rocks Dam. The proposed repairs will not result in any significant impacts. The draft EA will be accepted as the final EA and the project will proceed as planned.
The environmental document may not be the complete document. However, a complete 'hard copy' that includes all exhibits is available for your review through the interlibrary loan program of the Montana State Library.
MEPA – Public Participation Guide
PDF files viewable only with the Acrobat Reader